Thursday, January 16, 2014

Throw-Back-Thursday: The Origins of Sartor

Originally posted as "C is for...." on The I's Have It, April 8, 2012.  Filed under , , , , .  Now with bonus pictures!

I fell into costuming a bit by accident.  I have been involved with theater, community and school, for most of my life, but I really dove in head first about ten years ago, when I started working with the Brunswick Little Theatre.  I started out as an actress but quickly took a turn as a director.  I kind of became a costumer by default; at the time I decided to direct my first show, the theater didn't really have anyone who "did" costumes.  My first show was Pippin, so it was easy enough, a whole lot of people wearing black and changing their hats or tunics or whatever....but those tunics had to be fabricated, and I was the one who had to do it.


Since then, I have had a hand in costuming most of the shows I have directed, although I am more hands-on and excited by shows like Seussical than I am by, say, Oklahoma! 

But my real creative outlet has been making costumes for Max.  Since about age three, he has been a costume kid.  He has always needed the perfect outfit for every occasion, and when you're a three and four and five and six year old, a lot of those occasions are fantasy-based.  I have had a lot of fun, over the years, replicating his favorite characters and dressing him to his own creative specifications.

I don't give Sartor all the attention I could, I have a whole closet full of costumes yet to post about, but head on over there and give it some bloggy love, won't you?


NEW! BONUS PHOTOS! CREEPY BLURRED OUT FACES!  

Here's a small selection of theater costumes I have designed and executed over the years, mostly just my favorites.


Boy Fairy
Girl Fairies





Seussical!, 2008

Horton the Elephant, Gertrude McFuzz and the Sour Kangaroo
(minus awesome Young Kangaroo hand puppet).

Assorted Seussians - Hippie Who, Gertrude McFuzz, The Cat in the Hat (minus tails and iconic hat),
Mrs. Mayor (of Whoville), and a Who Farmwoman.

A collection of Whos down in Whoville.  All of the Whos were dressed in various combinations and shade of purple and brown.  I did a LOT of thrift-store-shopping, and LOT of altering, and went through more bottles of purple dye than I could count.
The Music Man, 2009

My sailor-suited stage family.  One of my favorite costume-making supplies -
repurposed "work shirts."  I did not make my own dress.

Oliver! 2011


Pathetic Workhouse Orphans.  The kids had a lot of fun helping me dye and dirty up their shirts and pants.
Note: it's more difficult than you would think to find a dozen pairs of non-cargo khaki pants for kids at thrift stores in the summer-time.  

Grubby little pickpockets.  

The Wizard of Oz, 2012

Blue Munchkins
Purple Munchkins

Yellow Munchkins.  The kids got to tie-dye their own t-shirts, and decorate their own vests.
Yes, I was a little obsessed with striped tights.
The Lollipop Guild
The Lullabye League

The Mayor of Munchkin City.
Full disclosure: I had someone else make
the coat!
A very dapper Tin Man, plus poppies and snowflakes.
I am directing Into the Woods this summer, and I plan to take the costumes in a VERY different direction than most people probably expect.  I'm excited to get started (and really, really hopeful that my ideas are well-received by the audience!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, whaddya think?