Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Blood brothers.

Yesterday was a snow day.  Today is, too.  Adrian actually stayed home today, so I've got a minute of peace and quiet while he's taking his turn outside with the kids, playing in the snow.  Well, ice.  It's really ice.  Whatever.  It's white, and it's cold, and they're having fun.

Anyway, yesterday was a snowless snow day, and Max had his bestie over all day following a sleepover the night before.  And while there was a whole lot of this:



It's true.  I love to build forts.
 there was also a whole lot of stuff like this:
Bestie: "Good morning, Milo! Can I have a hug?"
Milo: "Sure!" (gives Bestie enormous, enthusiastic hug)
Max: "Hey Milo, can I have a hug?"
Milo: "Go away, Max, you are NOT my brother."

and even more stuff like this:
Max: "OOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW! Milo BIT me!!!!!!!!"
Milo: "WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! Max PINCHED me!!!!!"
and it's like, I swear to God, these boys are not going to actually quit it until one of them draws blood.

It culminated in this:
Milo: "Mom, you read this note Max made to me?"
Me: "Sure Milo....."


Milo: "That's the worst note EVER."
My boys are almost five years apart, and you know what?  I get it.  They are at very different stages in their lives, and they are going to butt heads a lot.  Milo frustrates Max, Max ignores Milo, they have their various jealousies and irritations and whatever. And I know that they really do love each other, and that they "get" the whole "your brother is your brother forever" thing.  But I just sometimes don't know what to do with the two of them.  How much do I intervene?  How much do I just let them figure out for themselves?  I mean, obviously, I'm not going to let the whole drawing blood scenario happen (if I can help it, anyway...) but I won't lie, I cry (on the inside, you understand) every time one of them says "I hate you" or "You're the worst brother, EVER" to the other.

A little while later, Milo trudged toward me with another piece of paper, looking for all the world like a man carrying his own death warrant to the executioner.
Milo: "Mom?  You read THIS note Max made to me?"
Me: "Uhhh......"

 Milo: "Oh.  That's a good note."
Sigh.



No comments:

Post a Comment

So, whaddya think?