Tuesday, March 13, 2012

This Charming Man


In the Fall of 2009, we were planning a trip to Disney World for the week surrounding New Year's.  The ad campaign for WDW at the time included a commercial that featured a little girl riding the carousel, wearing full Snow White regalia.  This commercial really started to irk Max:
"Mom, how come they only ever show GIRLS wearing costumes to the Magic Kingdom?  How come boys are never walking around wearing costumes?  It's not right."

I explained to him about the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, and how many of the girls that he has seen at Disney dressed as princesses had taken part in a princess makeover there, although certainly some girls brought their outfits from home.....
"But Mom, what about boys?  How come there's not a prince makeover?  That doesn't seem fair."
(Disney has since opened the Pirates League, where your entire family can get a pirate makeover, er, under, but I have to agree with Max here - where are the princes??  Not every boy is into pirates.....)

It wasn't long before I got the request for a Prince Charming costume:


In case you are wondering....it is possible to purchase this costume, in adult or toddler sizes.

This was a pretty easy costume to put together.  The biggest challenge was finding the appropriate gold trim, which I was able to purchase without too much difficulty at Joann.com.  I ordered about 2 yards of gold rope, 3 yards of gold braid and a yard of gold upholstery fringe.  I had a small amount of heavy gold satin leftover from a dress I made my sister in 2004 (my pack-rat tendencies are a plus when it comes to assembling costumes, I'm just sayin').

For the pants, I wanted something super comfy and easy to pack, so I splurged and ordered a pair of red sweat pants from Land's End.  I ordinarily do NOT buy new items for costumes, especially if I know I am going to alter the item in such a way that it can't be worn as regular clothing, but I really wanted this costume to be special so I didn't mind this time.  They were drawstring pants, so I ordered a size up so that I could cut the elasticized bottoms off of the pants, and hem them to the appropriate length.   I hot glued strips of gold braid down the outside of each leg,  using two strips per leg, because I was unable to find a braid that was the width I wanted.

I took an old white dress shirt and fit it to Max, leaving it tunic length and cutting off the cuffs and collar.  I made wide cuffs and a belt out of the gold satin, and sewed them to the tunic.  One more scrap of satin was used to cover the now-banded collar, and I added a small piece of Velcro since the collar button was now covered.

I cut open the lengths that I had taken off the pant legs, and cut off the elastic.  This gave me enough fabric to make the tops of the epaulets, to which I sewed the gold upholstery fringe.  Underneath the epaulet on the right shoulder, I attached a long loop of gold braid that ran under the arm, to about the length of the belt.  I ran another piece of gold braid from under the right epaulet to under the left epaulet, and attached both ends with a couple of hand-stitches.  I did wrap the ends of the braid in tape to prevent them from fraying, which made it much easier to handle in terms of getting the ends tacked down.

The last piece was the red sash.  I did not have enough fabric left from the pant legs to make the sash, but I did have some red flannel left over from the boys' band costumes I made for The Music Man the previous summer, which matched closely enough.  I made a long, parallelogram shaped panel, which I attached, once again, under the epaulet on the right shoulder (those epaulets really came in handy for hiding stuff!)  I put Velcro along the bottom edge, and glued the other side of the Velcro to the tunic, just above the belt on the left side.  It was necessary to make the sash at least partially removable so that he could get in and out of the costume easily.

We put the whole thing together with some white gloves and black dress shoes, and Max could not have been more thrilled.  Neither could I; this was one costume that came out exactly as I planned, and looked even better than I hoped.

1 comment:

  1. I had thought you bought this one. Silly me, should have known better, no mass produced costume could be so perfect for that little guy! That is one of my favorite Max pics, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

So, whaddya think?