Friday, December 30, 2011

Terence, the Pixie Dust Fairy (er...Sparrowman)

What do you do when your 4-year old son LOVES the Disney Fairies and wants more than anything to be one for Halloween? Get him excited about dressing as Terence, the Pixie Dust fairy! And then realize that there is no such thing as a store-bought Terence costume.


This costume came together pretty easily, and even I was amazed by how good it looked.  I bought a pair of brown leggings from the girls' department, which Max was very skeptical about...until I painted a leaf pattern onto them with acrylic paint. An adult brown t-shirt became the vest, by cutting it open up the front, cutting the bottom off and making a collar out of the scrap fabric, and reshaping the front opening into leaf shapes. Then I painted the leaf pattern onto the front of the vest and collar. Additional scraps of fabric became the wrist bands. 
The tunic was a simple pattern, that I made from a fuzzy, "moss"- like fabric (this was actually fabric that I purchased for my own "Wild Thing" costume that never was). For the belt I cut strips off of an off-white t-shirt and sewed them end-to-end, to make a long rope that wrapped around him several times. 


Terence's signature acorn cap was the true labor of love in this costume, and I actually made it months before Halloween 2009 (when he wore this costume), it was, in fact, a Christmas gift in 2008.  Max asked for the hat to complete a quick and dirty Terence costume we'd made one day out of some old long johns and a vest he already had.  This was the same Christmas he asked for an Eve (as in Wall-E, not Adam and) costume, which I can't wait to blog about.  Anyway....the cap is made from a baseball cap with the bill cut off, which I painted brown.  I used three shades of brown fun foam, and made small cone-shapes which I attached with Satan's Glue Gun all over to give it an acorn texture. 


I finished the costume off with a pair of store-bought wings.  If you are ever in need of wings, I have to recommend Halo Heaven.  This type of fairy/butterfly wing....kids play with them.  Hard.  You have to consider them to be disposable.  Halo Heaven is cheap, I buy wings by the dozen so we always have some on hand that don't have poky wire bits sticking out.


The other troublesome part of this costume were Terence's upturned boots.  I tried, really I did.  Max had a pair of boot tops from a Peter Pan costume that I sewed into the upturned shape, and then tacked onto the soles from a pair of flip-flops with the thong cut off.  They looked great, but Max really did not enjoy walking in them.  Ultimately, we were satisfied with a pair of chukka boots that he already owned.




I took Max to Disney World for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween party a couple of weeks before Halloween that year, and he wore this costume.  The attention he got was unbelievable!  It seemed like every girl who was dressed as Tinkerbell (and that was a VERY popular costume that year) wanted a photo with him.  But the best, the very best part....we went to Toontown to visit the Pixie Hollow Meet and Greet, where, unbeknownst to me, Terence had just been added as a meetable character.  The line handler was so excited to see Max in his costume, that she had us jump the line and go straight through a secret door into the meet and greet area.  Max (and I!) felt SO special.  Ahhh, Disney magic :)



2 comments:

  1. Thank you! Thank you for the tips! I was just looking for a Terence costume for my 5 year old and realized I have to make it. You'd think Disney would be smart enough to go ahead and make this for sale, but no! What a sweet story you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope your costume was a great success!

      Delete

So, whaddya think?