Friday, November 4, 2011

Emergency Imperial Stormtrooper

There is nothing quite like a costume emergency to get your creative juices flowing.

Halloween, 2007.  I was dimly aware that my six year old nephew had grand plans to dress as an Imperial Stormtrooper, that he wanted a store-bought costume (which broke my sister's heart) and that these costumes were proving very popular, and therefore a bit tricky to actually lay hands on.




I don't remember who called who that Halloween morning, but somehow I was alerted to the fact that Jack's costume had never materialized, and my sister was at a loss as to what to do.

I went to Wal-Mart.  My first stop was the toy department, because I really did not have a clear idea of what an Imperial Stormtrooper actually looked like.  I picked up the action figure, paid for it, ripped it out of its packaging, and re-entered the store, zooming up and down aisles, frantically looking for something, ANYTHING that I could use to make something that even slight resembled the hard plastic armor of a stormtrooper.

Inspiration struck in the trashcan aisle.

Oh, Rubbermaid, how did I not think of this at once?  One tall white kitchen can.  One roll of white Duck Tape.  One package of white fun foam.

"Elie?  It's me.  Tell Jack to come over around four o'clock.  Tell him he needs to wear all black, long sleeves and pants.  Oh....and I have no idea what to do for a helmet."
I went home, and went to TOWN on that trash can with a pair of kitchen shears.  Jack arrived, clad all in black as directed, and I literally proceeded to TAPE him into his costume.  My sister had no more luck coming up with a helmet solution than I did, but, interestingly enough, the solution to that problem came from Jack, himself.

"It's no problem.  I'll just be Han Solo disguised as an Imperial Stormtrooper."


Clever lad.

For an emergency costume, it turned out pretty well.  Had I had more time, I don't honestly know how much better it could have been.


The grin on his face is the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, whaddya think?